Thursday, March 20, 2008

Periwinkle is blue right?


Okay, this is a cake that didn't turn out quite right that I did. Not because it didn't look right, but because the bride asked for periwinkle blue fondant, which when I was trying to get the color, started to turn a weird grayish color. Oh no. Of course, dork that I can be sometimes, didn't try the color in the fondant until the day of making it for the cake itself. And did I try it on a small amount first? Oh, no. I went full force into the whole batch. Well, you have to make it all at once, or you might not get smaller batches to match in color. Bad, bad, bad. The fondant started turning this grayish blue color. Ugh. Time to stop before it gets really ugly. Okay, so let me back up. The bride asked for a cake with periwinkle fondant. She saw the cake in Martha Stewart and wanted to make it match her colors, which she adamantly claimed were periwinkle blue and then some lavander and purple colors. She sent ribbons to give me colors (mostly light purples that matched the purple flowers that I put on the cake), but insisted, periwinkle blue for the fondant. Okay. My cabinets in my kitchen are periwinkle BLUE. They are blue. Not purple. Okay, so I get to the wedding, start setting up the cake, and notice all the flowers there and the bridesmaids dresses are purple, different shades of purple. No periwinkle blue anywhere. What a nightmare. I did what she asked: periwinkle blue. Anyway, she said the cake was pretty, tasted wonderful, but unfortunately didn't match the colors. I was deeply sorry, but didn't press the point it was what she asked for. Maybe she was thinking periwinkle was a different color.

No comments: