Thursday, March 20, 2008

New Year's wedding cake.. that almost landed on the pavement


I made this for the lady who so wonderfully helped us find our house. She is a wonderful realtor, and a good friend. She got married about a year after we moved in, and 2 months after I had our second child. Yes, I am a crazy lady, but I have always found it hard to say no to a friend. I am getting better at it these days. She got married on New Year's Eve. So cool. This cake is wrapped with silver and black ribbons. Nothing fancy, just simple and elegant. Well, when we took the cake to the reception site, as I was carrying it in in it's box, I tripped on a piece of pavement that was sticking up and almost lost the whole cake. As it was, the top layers of the cake slid on the bottom layer (reminder to self, even though it is a small cake, do not prestack cake before delivery, no matter what). I had to push it back in place. Fortunately it had slid towards the back of the cake and the marks I couldn't quite touch up perfectly from pushing it back into place were in the back of the cake. No one knew, but I tell you I was a nervous wreck.
Delivering the cake is always the riskiest part. You never know what will happen: a sudden stop, a trip carrying the thing in, who knows.

No comments: