Thursday, March 20, 2008

My first fondant cake



I love just buttercream only iced cakes, and was a bit skeptical about doing a fondant cake. I think most commercial fondant products (Wilton and others) are horrible. They are pasty and sugary and not very good for anything but looks and I would advise peeling it off before eating the cake. In my limited experience with it in tasting too, it was always a very thick layer on top of the cake. But I found a product called Choco-Pan that was so great. It is actually a chocolate based fondant that you are supposed to roll thin to cover the cake. It was a winner and so I could then offer fondant covered cakes. This is my first one. It is a challenge, and again, I taught myself on this cake. It turned out quite well. It is based on a Martha Stewart cake from one of her Weddings magazines. I love her simple, elegant style, at least it was at that time. I had a customer request this cake. It has her new monogram on the bottom tier. It is hard to see in the photos. I am not a photographer, so my photos for this blog are not the best. But the cake was beautiful, simple and so elegant. I also made about 150 lemon and orange sugar cookies that looked like wedding cakes for her to give as favors to the wedding guests.

No comments: